Breaker Chic Bash in San An
I had the fortunate opportunity to chill with my home girls from high school, circa 1990-1994, in San Antonio, Texas, the weekend following our Disney trip. Leaving Sonya safely in my hubby's hands (he's the real maternal one in the relationship!), I flew to the great state of six flags to be greeted by a car full of screaming girls.
You wouldn't naturally think that would be my style, being the tomboy and all, but as I stepped past the baggage claim of the airport, I passed through this strange vortex that morphed me into my closet high school self. This girl that jumped up and down, hugging the others, is apparently the girl I wished I could have been back in the day, and it was amazing to be that silly ex-cheerleader (Oh yes, Soul Beat, Baby) among friends who get it.
Now many of you may be wondering,"Uhh, Missy was homeschooled. How does that work?" True, so true, 3rd-12th (thank you Mom and Dad!). Fortunately for my girls and I, we had parents not only dedicated to shaping a Christian world view that would last the test of temptation and time, they also saw the need for socialization opportunities, athletics to participate in, and being a kid around other kids doing kid stuff.
That is how I met Sara P., Sarah Nattergirl, and Robyn S. We all cheered together, went to prom together, sang in the choir together, talked about boys together, had each other's backs together, and the beat goes on.
Sara P. was our rock, and for some still is. Life revolved around her house for so many events, she was the planner, coordinator, listener, even keel with an encouraging word and a shoulder to cry on. Good thing too, since now she plans events at a swanky hotel in downtown San An.
Sarah Nattergirl was the beach girl, into the music scene, every guy's dream, and she so didn't know it and didn't show it. She was that girl that everybody wanted to be friends and everybody could. High energy, in a good way, always had fun with. Robyn was the new girl that caught all of us at the perfect time. As an upcoming sophomore playing on the boy's soccer team, I was starting to get a bit bored with being the only tomboy/sporty girl, and here comes Robyn. Finally, a kindred athletic spirit, driven and loyal, feistier than me!
Makes me wonder what they might describe me as. Sporty, sure, tomboy, sure, but what else? I felt like a wallflower during high school, at least around the girls, so I hung with the guys alot. Hmmm... me in high school through my friend's eyes...
The weekend was a swirl of current stories of our lives since the Breaker Babe era: marriage, kids for some of us, sad stories of divorce of selves or parents for others, or the perpetual world of career and wading through the single life for that magic that you know is of God (it is out there, Sara, don't lose hope!). Then the memories just flooded back. We ended up doing cheers into the night, aided by a few glasses of wine, and playing ,"Ok, how many of us really kissed Michael Gard??!"
Between movies and meals, a tour of downtown San Antonio
(amazing architecture, the Riverwalk was a portion of the San Antonio River diverted and kept immaculately clean, so picturesque, a Spanish Riviera if you will),
the Alamo,
stuffing ourselves in a photo booth as we hit the height of our regained impulsiveness, it was if we were better friends than I ever remembered.
High school is such a bubble, and wading through trials of maturity and hormones can drive any teenager to the edge. How thankful we all felt to have had that haven of friendship to be real, even if it wasn't completely until now. A lot of my misconceptions of people were shattered after that weekend, and I only hope we are able to stay as close as we felt those 2 days. It all ended so quickly, and on such a strong note. We were able to attend church together, at Max Lucado's church! Yeah, the service was great, but for me, it was the rapture of voices that swept me away into a face to face worship with a God that crutched me with strong Christian friends, willingly carrying me through a very gray time. I know who I am now, and I can stand beside these girls with pride of my attachment to them, and gratitude for their Maker who placed them there, refining me into who I sam now.

1 Comments:
i wish i could copy your post to mine:-) you should write books miss! how would i describe you in hs...a tomboy who marched ot the beat of her own drum, but dont let her fool you...she could get dressed up sexy and shock all of us...spoke her mind and i think wished so many of hte guys didnt see her as a little sister-we both had that problem:-) and remember, there was only one guy i kissed my whole highschool with beach and it WASNT michael gard:-) he was a great friend! i loved your post missy it was great to read and re-live that wonderful weekend. what a blessing it was. charlie owuld have never let me come!!! i am so glad i could go and have a girlie weekend...i slowly feel my self coming back to life:-) love you girl and am hoping and praying to see you this summer!
Post a Comment
<< Home