Kentucky, Here We Are!

Wow, it seems like forever since my last post, and SO MUCH has happened since October, 2006.
For starters, we sold our house in Virginia Thanksgiving weekend. For many, especially the Brandon's family, that was the beginning of some heartbreaking closure. We have lived within 20 minutes of them for 3 years, seeing Sonya nearly everyday of her life. For us, this was the sign that showed us we were meant to go. Brandon was anxious to have us in Kentucky with him, and although working with our realtors was not the most pleasant time we've had in life, the house did sell, and we were set in motion.
Quickly following the sale of our house was the resigning of my position as elementary PE teacher at Moncure Elementary in Stafford. There were many mixed emotions along with this, including excitement to start a new chapter in my life as a teacher of one and house wife to the boy, stress concerning the timing and not being able to say goodbye to my students, and a wonder of what the future could hold, good or bad. I guess that is a normal response, but with all of it swirling around at the same time, I foundit tricky keeping it together. I've been a teacher for 7 years, and I thought it would be more difficult to leave the profession. I love teaching, and I love being active and being able affect kids in a postive way and see them change in front of you, but not enough to miss anymore moments with my daughter that I would never get back. Perhaps one day I will return, you never know.
The following weeks after my resignation were a whirlwind. The second week in December, I visited Kentucky to look for houses, and was treated to a week long celebration of my 30th birthday by my hubby and my sister, Robyn, who lives in Lexington and attends the graduate program at the University of Kentucky for Counseling Psychology. This started with my first and only $50 steak at a restaurant called Malone's that I hope we will revisit for the next special occasion (hmmm, V Day?!).
After 2 days of searching for houses. B and I settled on a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath home in Georgetown, Kentucky, about 15 minutes north of Lexington. The commute for Brandon is super easy, and we are a stone's throw from our friends, Holly and Daniel. The weekend was capped off with a lovely brunch at the tiniest winery I've ever seen, but with some great wines. What a great vacation, and much needed rest, to reenergize before the next weeks to come.
When I returned from KY, I was left to deal with packing the house and being in constant and agonizing communication with the mortgage company. They meant well, but had No communication skills. Once I was over the crying frustration, I turned into a pit bull. Biting is better than barking when negotiating, I found. Christmas came and went, with much needed time spent with family.
Sonya got to ride around with Daddy on the ATV, which she loved. Guess we should get her a helmet next year.
Sonya had a lot more fun this year than her first year, receiving a play kitchen from Grandma Thompson,
a rocking horse Grammy Thomas, and her beloved Pooh blanket from Tori, that she snuggles with every day.
The move itself was fine. Thankfully, Brandon's dad was able to move us, which was so helpful financially. He and Robin made the trip with us, with Sonya, Tasha, and Finn, along for the ride. After some tearful goodbyes, we were left to unpacking. My parents visited, and that was greatly appreciated, as Mom stripped wallpaper for 3 days. Thanks Mom!

Robyn took me and my dad to a UK basketball game, which was amazing. My dad went to UK, and this was his first game! We were 3 rows from the very top, but it was awesome!!!
After having been here for nearly 3 weeks, the family is quite comfortable with our home. Wallpaper has already been taken down (with much more to come down, I'm afraid), paint colors have been chosen, and I have found the mall and the Target! Sonya and I are finding lots of things to do, such as reading time at the library, swimming at the parks and recreation facility, and gymnastics class. Along with these activities and the eventual church find, we are confident that Sonya will find some playmates that she will love ALMOST as much as her cousin Jake, who she talks about every once in while.
It has been crazy, but as we settle in to our new life, we can see God's provision in all things. The church search has begun. There are alot of options, but who wants to try all of them? God has been with us through everything, so we know he will lead us to a congregation that we can be a part of. Til then, we will continue seeking.

2 Comments:
Yay! I'm so glad you posted. I check on you every day! Glad you're finally moved and getting settled. Sonya looks so big now. Email me your new address so that I can send you a new picture of all of us! Would love to have a new one of Sonya?
This comment has been removed by the author.
Post a Comment
<< Home